Why e-Commerce Sellers Should Sell Their Own Products on Amazon
In this episode…
As an e-commerce seller and product designer, are you thinking of taking your brand to the Amazon marketplace? Do you want to sign up independent Amazon resellers to sell more of your products? If you answered “yes” to these questions, we’ve got news for you: you need to reconsider your plan.
Most Amazon resellers offer a lot of discounts on the products they sell to win the buy box on Amazon. But, this leads to significant price discrepancies on the marketplace and other e-commerce platforms, which negatively affects the brand's perception by customers. Ultimately, the brand loses their control to Amazon and the resellers. If you plan to go to Amazon, it is best to sell your own products directly to customers—and Germaine Caprio is here to help.
In this episode of the Relationship Commerce Podcast, Germaine Caprio, Founder and Owner of MAJAMAS EARTH, joins Dean Dutro to talk about the strategies she used to grow her organic e-commerce clothing brand. She explains why you should avoid using Amazon resellers, how her business has benefited from direct to consumer marketing, and why she recommends Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook for growing your brand.
Germaine Caprio is the Founder and Owner of MAJAMAS EARTH, an eco-fashion and ethically-made clothing brand. She was inspired by her mother to create a clothing line that was environmentally responsible and believes that beautiful styles can be made without harming the planet—and is the future of fashion.
MAJAMAS EARTH manufactures their clothing 100% in the United States, are never sprayed with chemicals, and ensure their workers are treated ethically and paid fair wages. You can find Germaine’s product line in stores like Whole Foods or on their website.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- Getting started in the clothing, fashion, and e-commerce business
- Working with independent retailers—and why Germaine doesn't recommend signing up with Amazon resellers
- How an e-commerce business evolves over the years, Germaine's current team, and the impact of COVID-19
- Growing your e-commerce through email and direct to consumer marketing
- How you deal with burnout and disappointment as an e-commerce seller
- Leveraging Pinterest and Instagram to grow your business
- The strategy Germaine wishes she had started using in her business earlier
- What you need to do as a brand owner: be true to yourself, tell your stories, and stay consistent with your branding
- Germaine’s e-commerce app recommendations for you and other brands in her industry that she respects
- How to get in touch with Germaine Caprio
Resources Mentioned in this episode
- MAJAMAS EARTH
- Germaine Caprio on LinkedIn
- “How to Sell Your eCommerce Business for a 3-10x Multiple of Profit” with Nate Lind
- “Is B2B Where You Want To Be?” with John McNamara
- Stella McCartney
Sponsor for this episode...
This episode is sponsored by Worth eCommerce.
Worth eCommerce is a small mighty team of eCommerce email marketers who help businesses of all sizes dramatically grow revenue with lifecycle email marketing. It is made up of copywriters, designers, strategizers, and marketing extraordinaires who specialize in nurturing relationships and guiding sales through the sheer power of email.
Worth eCommerce's sole focus is creating a lasting relationship between eCommerce sellers and their customers through the most personable form of digital connection: email. Businesses that send personable, interesting, and helpful emails earn the trust and continued business from that same customer.
Worth eCommerce’s mission is to help small medium sized e-commerce businesses generate more than a million dollars a year each in revenue using their own marketing channels.
To learn more about Worth eCommerce, visit https://worthecommerce.com/pages/home.
For all of your eCommerce needs, here are our top recommendations:
For the ultimate ecommerce marketing platform for eCommerce email and SMS messaging, make sure to check out Klaviyo.
For the AI Visit Conversion Platform, go with Justuno. They provide intelligent lead captures, personalized website messaging, and audience analytics to convert more visitors into customers.
And if you’re looking to create, launch, and manage your SMS marketing program for your growing Shopify store, there’s no better way to do that than with Postscript. Unlock a new marketing channel guaranteed to drive revenue, not just clicks.