How to Grow a Startup with a Great Customer Service Experience with Farzan Dehmoubed, Founder of Lotus Trolley Bags
Farzan Dehmoubed is the Founder and CEO of Lotus Trolley Bags, an eco-friendly company on a mission to eliminate plastic from shopping. Farzan’s range of eco-friendly products, including the Lotus Trolley Bags, are now available in 13,000+ stores across the US and Canada, and online at Amazon and their own website. As the leading manufacturer of reusable bags, the company has eliminated the need for over 400 million single-use plastic bags and in 2020, the company ranked 144 on the INC 5000 fastest growing companies in America.
Before collaborating with his wife on the Lotus Trolley Bag, Farzan was an enthusiastic entrepreneur with a history of starting and operating advertising and real estate companies. He is currently based in sunny Carlsbad, California, and has been featured in publications like the LA Times, Entrepreneur Magazine, CBS News, Good Morning America, and more.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- The story behind the founding of Lotus Trolley Bags and how the bags work
- Farzan talks about the early days of starting the company, its rapid growth, and their big disappointment
- How Farzan took care of a shipment of faulty products and what he learned from the experience
- Farzan's advice on how to find a trustworthy manufacturing company overseas
- Farzan talks about what he did while waiting for the second overseas shipment to come in, selling on Amazon, and transitioning to retail stores
- How Farzan's sales have been affected by COVID-19 and how he is boosting online sales
- The strategies Farzan wishes he had used earlier in his business, the benefits of owned marketing, and Farzan’s thoughts on the Shopify-Walmart collaboration
- Farzan talks about working with his wife and his tips for hiring a team
- The marketers and businesses Farzan respects in his industry and his advice to anyone starting a business
- How to get in touch with Farzan Dehmoubed and Lotus Trolley Bags
In this episode…
In 2016, the state of California imposed a ban on single-use plastic bags in a bid to do away with their harmful effects on the environment. However, the reusable bags brought in to replace them were not functional when it came to shopping.
To solve this problem for himself and his family, Farzan came up with a unique trolley bag that was functional and stylish. The bags have specialized pockets for different types of items like eggs and wine, and a rod at the top to keep items upright in a shopping cart. When he took the bag to the grocery store, it was an immediate hit—and he decided to manufacture more and start a business.
Dean Dutro, host of the Relationship Commerce Podcast is joined by Farzan Dehmoubed, Founder and CEO of Lotus Trolley Bags, to talk about Farzan's strategies for growing a startup business. They also talk about the importance of providing a great customer service experience, leveraging Amazon reviews to boost sales, the benefits of selling in multiple sales channels, and how to work with one's spouse. Keep listening.
Resources Mentioned in this episode
- Worth eCommerce
- Lotus Trolley Bags
- Lotus Trolley Bags on Amazon
- Farzan Dehmoubed on LinkedIn
- Farzan Dehmoubed's email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Shopify Walmart Marketplace
- Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High by Kerry Patterson
- Hydro Flask
Sponsor for this episode...
This episode is sponsored by Worth eCommerce.
Worth eCommerce is a small mighty team of eCommerce email marketers who help businesses of all sizes dramatically grow revenue with lifecycle email marketing. It is made up of copywriters, designers, strategizers, and marketing extraordinaires who specialize in nurturing relationships and guiding sales through the sheer power of email.
Worth eCommerce's sole focus is creating a lasting relationship between eCommerce sellers and their customers through the most personable form of digital connection: email. Businesses that send personable, interesting, and helpful emails earn the trust and continued business from that same customer.
Worth eCommerce’s mission is to help small medium sized e-commerce businesses generate more than a million dollars a year each in revenue using their own marketing channels.
To learn more about Worth eCommerce, visit https://worthecommerce.com/pages/home.
For all of your eCommerce needs, here are our top recommendations:
For the ultimate ecommerce marketing platform for eCommerce email and SMS messaging, make sure to check out Klaviyo.
For the AI Visit Conversion Platform, go with Justuno. They provide intelligent lead captures, personalized website messaging, and audience analytics to convert more visitors into customers.
And if you’re looking to create, launch, and manage your SMS marketing program for your growing Shopify store, there’s no better way to do that than with Postscript. Unlock a new marketing channel guaranteed to drive revenue, not just clicks.