How to Go from Garage Side Gig to Over $5 Million in Sales Using Email and Content
Todd Meeks is the owner and President of Spartan Armor Systems, the manufacturers of American-designed and made body armor, tactical gear, and targets, and they ranked number 522 on the Inc 5000 list of the most successful companies in America. Todd helped grow Spartan Armor Systems from a garage side gig to over $5.4 million in sales in less than four years by focusing on customer service, growing the brand, and creating processes to offer the highest quality products they can.
Todd graduated from the University of Phoenix with a BA in Business Administration. He previously owned UPS Store franchises and worked as a business broker before going into the body armor business.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- Who is Todd Meeks and how did he get started in the body armor business?
- Strategies Todd and his business partner used to scale their business and beat competitors
- The types of customers Spartan Armor Systems work with and how they improved customer experience
- How Todd promotes his business and the platforms he uses
- Big mistakes Todd made in running his business, the lessons he learnt from them, and the strategies he wished he learned earlier
- How leveraging influencers and email marketing helped grow Spartan Armor Systems
- The tools Todd uses to capture and send out emails to his business contacts
- Where Todd's manufacturing and office employees are based and his best tips for hiring employees
- The business owners in the eCommerce industry that Todd looks up to
- How has the current health crisis affected Spartan Armor Systems?
In this episode…
Before the 2008 financial crisis, Todd Meeks ran a few UPS franchises but got burned. He decided to do something different and while working as a business broker, he learned about a friend's client who used steel plates as a cheap form of body armor. He became interested in the business and later purchased it with his new business partner in 2015.
5 years later, Todd has grown the body armor business from being a side gig he ran in a garage into a business that makes over $5 million in sales. He has also grown from using eBay to running a full-fledged eCommerce store that uses the power of email marketing to improve customer experience and beat his competitors.
In this week's episode of the Relationship Commerce, Dean Dutro talks with Todd Meeks of Spartan Armor Systems about how he has grown his body armor business from a garage side gig to making over $5 million in sales. He explains how creating an eCommerce website helped his business grow, why educating customers is key in growing a business, and how he uses email marketing and website content to improve customer experience. Stay tuned.
Resources Mentioned in this episode
- Spartan Armor Systems
- Spartan Armor Systems on Facebook
- Spartan Armor Systems on Instagram
- Todd Meeks on LinkedIn
- Magento WooCommerce - Sell Online With The eCommerce Platform for WordPress
- Yotpo Review App
- Fulfilment By Amazon (FBA)
- Dean Dutro's interview with Ryan Levesque
- The ASK Method
- Bottle Breacher
- X Products - Can Cannon
Sponsor for this episode...
This episode is sponsored by Worth eCommerce.
Worth eCommerce is a small mighty team of eCommerce email marketers who help businesses of all sizes dramatically grow revenue with lifecycle email marketing. It is made up of copywriters, designers, strategizers, and marketing extraordinaire who specialize in nurturing relationships and guiding sales through the sheer power of email.
Worth eCommerce's sole focus is creating a lasting relationship between eCommerce sellers and their customers through the most personable form of digital connection: email. Businesses that send personable, interesting and helpful emails earn the trust and continued business from that same customer.
Worth eCommerce’s mission is to help small medium-sized eCommerce businesses generate more than a million dollars a year each in revenue using their own marketing channels.
To learn more about Worth eCommerce, visit https://worthecommerce.com/pages/home.