Randall Thompson is the Founder and President of Dugout Mugs and a former Toronto Blue Jays baseball player. He started Dugout Mugs, a baseball drinkware company in 2016 with three patented products generating over seven figures in 2017, 2018, 2019, and now in 2020. Dugout Mugs is licensed through Major League Baseball, Minor League Baseball, and Major League Baseball Players Association.
Randall’s products are in over 70 Minor and Major League Baseball stadium team stores across the country. In his free time, Randall likes to play tetherball and read about Patent and Trademark Law.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- How the lightbulb for baseball drinking mugs turned on and Randall's experience starting the business
- The team behind Dugout Mugs, the company's turning point, and the milestone Randall is most proud of since starting the business
- The Dugout Mugs licensing deal and how it impacts the company's revenue
- Randall talks about the moment the company started seeing traction and how his tactics have changed over the years
- The strategies Randall wishes he had used in his business earlier
- How Randall uses SMS marketing for his company, his preferred software, and his recommendations to other business owners
- Randall's advice for people looking to start a Shopify store
- Randall talks about the benefits of owning customer information and nurturing them over time
- Where to learn more and connect with Randall Thompson and Dugout Mugs
In this episode…
For Randall Thompson, the love of baseball started at the age of 5. He played throughout his childhood and eventually took it to the professional level with the Toronto Blue Jays. While on the field, he had the idea of making drinking mugs from baseball bats and immersed himself in the entrepreneurial journey to manufacture them after retiring.
But, to bring his business idea to life, he had to get licensing approvals from different baseball teams. So how did he go about it?
In this week's episode of Relationship Commerce, Randall Thompson, the Founder and President of Dugout Mugs, joins Dean Dutro to talk about making baseball drinking mugs after retiring from professional baseball. Randall explains how licensing rights work, how they have helped his business, and his strategies for growing the business and fan base.
Resources Mentioned in this episode
- Worth eCommerce
- Dugout Mugs
- Dugout Mugs on Twitter
- Dugout Mugs on Instagram
- Randall Thompson on LinkedIn
- Randall Thompson on Facebook
- Toronto Blue Jays
- Dean Dutro's interview with the founders of John's Crazy Socks
- Zipify for Shopify
Sponsor for this episode...
This episode is sponsored by Worth eCommerce.
Worth eCommerce is a small mighty team of eCommerce email marketers who help businesses of all sizes dramatically grow revenue with lifecycle email marketing. It is made up of copywriters, designers, strategizers, and marketing extraordinaires who specialize in nurturing relationships and guiding sales through the sheer power of email.
Worth eCommerce's sole focus is creating a lasting relationship between eCommerce sellers and their customers through the most personable form of digital connection: email. Businesses that send personable, interesting, and helpful emails earn the trust and continued business from that same customer.
Worth eCommerce’s mission is to help small medium sized e-commerce businesses generate more than a million dollars a year each in revenue using their own marketing channels.
To learn more about Worth eCommerce, visit https://worthecommerce.com/pages/home.
For all of your eCommerce needs, here are our top recommendations:
For the ultimate ecommerce marketing platform for eCommerce email and SMS messaging, make sure to check out Klaviyo.
For the AI Visit Conversion Platform, go with Justuno. They provide intelligent lead captures, personalized website messaging, and audience analytics to convert more visitors into customers.
And if you’re looking to create, launch, and manage your SMS marketing program for your growing Shopify store, there’s no better way to do that than with Postscript. Unlock a new marketing channel guaranteed to drive revenue, not just clicks.