Bruce Hultgren is the Founder and CEO of Oh Crap, a compostable dog waste bag company that has celebrated saving over 12 million plastic dog waste bags from landfills. While most plastic bags take 500 years (or more) to degrade—and don’t entirely break down—Oh Crap’s dog poop bags break down in only 3 months.
Before founding Oh Crap, Bruce played professional basketball in the NBL in Australia for eight years and created BillyBounce Basketball, a basketball program for kids. He also ran a business for 20 years called PocketAngels that was started following the tragic loss of his eldest sister in a plane crash, and the company The GOYA Life, which helps people with wellness and mindfulness.
Here’s a glimpse of what you’ll learn:
- How Bruce got started with Oh Crap and how his friend helped him find the right material for making the dog poop bags
- Bruce talks about his research—and the production and marketing challenges he faced
- What led to the success of the dog poop bags
- Bruce talks about his company's plans for expanding to the US and the obstacles he’s preparing for
- The biggest milestones achieved at Oh Crap and the other ways customers use the bags
- The structure of Oh Crap's website and the company's product options
- Bruce talks about the work he did before founding Oh Crap, being a basketball player, and the story of a family tragedy that led to PocketAngels
- What inspires and motivates Bruce and his favorite books
In this episode…
In a bid to help conserve the environment and make the world a better place, Bruce Hultgren came up with an idea for reducing plastic bag use and making compostable bags for dog poop. After some research, he found an ideal material for bags that would disintegrate in less than 90 days: cornstarch.
Oh Crap, the company founded by Bruce, has grown over the last 6 years in Australia and now ships their products internationally. However, the company's expansion plans to the US have been hit with some distribution challenges due to the big market in the country.
In this episode of the Relationship Commerce Podcast, Dr. Jeremy Weisz talks to Bruce Hultgren, Founder and CEO of Oh Crap, about his company's mission of conserving the environment and helping reduce the amount of landfill made up of dog poop bags. Bruce differentiates between biodegradability and compostability, explains the differences between manufacturing and distributing poop bags for the Australian and US markets, and talks about his company's plans.
Resources Mentioned in this episode
- Worth eCommerce
- Oh Crap
- Bruce Hultgren on LinkedIn
- The GOYA Life
- GOYA Sport
- Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE by Phil Knight
- The Thank You Economy by Gary Vaynerchuk
- Crush It!: Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion by Gary Vaynerchuk
- Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story by Arnold Schwarzenegger
Sponsor for this episode...
This episode is sponsored by Worth eCommerce.
Worth eCommerce is a small mighty team of eCommerce email marketers who help businesses of all sizes dramatically grow revenue with lifecycle email marketing. It is made up of copywriters, designers, strategizers, and marketing extraordinaires who specialize in nurturing relationships and guiding sales through the sheer power of email.
Worth eCommerce's sole focus is creating a lasting relationship between eCommerce sellers and their customers through the most personable form of digital connection: email. Businesses that send personable, interesting, and helpful emails earn the trust and continued business from that same customer.
Worth eCommerce’s mission is to help small medium sized e-commerce businesses generate more than a million dollars a year each in revenue using their own marketing channels.
To learn more about Worth eCommerce, visit https://worthecommerce.com/pages/home.
For all of your eCommerce needs, here are our top recommendations:
For the ultimate ecommerce marketing platform for eCommerce email and SMS messaging, make sure to check out Klaviyo.
For the AI Visit Conversion Platform, go with Justuno. They provide intelligent lead captures, personalized website messaging, and audience analytics to convert more visitors into customers.
And if you’re looking to create, launch, and manage your SMS marketing program for your growing Shopify store, there’s no better way to do that than with Postscript. Unlock a new marketing channel guaranteed to drive revenue, not just clicks.